Tamale Pie with Scallion Cream Cheese
Our scallion cream cheese in a cornbread crust is a game changer in this easy and delicious recipe!
1 box JIFFY corn muffin mix
1/4 c. sour cream
1/4 c. Melanie’s Medleys Scallion Cream Cheese
1/2 c. creamed corn
1/3 c. red enchilada sauce
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Jalapeno, chopped and seeds removed
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 lb. ground beef
1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1 c. Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
handful cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
- 1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2) Prepare cornbread base. In a medium bowl, combine corn muffin mix, sour cream, cream cheese, creamed corn and egg. Whisk until combined. Pour into a greased large cast iron skillet or glass baking dish and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Let cool slightly in pan.
- 3) Prepare Taco filling. Sauté onions over medium heat. Season with salt, pepper and spices and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the ground beef and stir to break up meat. Season to taste and sauté until cooked through. Remove skillet from stovetop and drain excess fat.
- Poke entire surface of cornbread with a fork. Pour enchilada sauce over the cornbread. Add the meat mixture and top with shredded cheese and chopped jalapeno. Cover with foil and bake until the cheese is melted, about 20 minutes. Remove foil and broil until cheese begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- 4) Let cool and pour remaining enchilada sauce on top and sprinkle cilantro, if desired.