Zucchini Spice Cake with Melanie’s Medleys Honey, Fig & Pistachio Cream Cheese Topping
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar (if you prefer a sweeter cake, add up to one additional cup)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 4 regular zucchini or 2 large, grated and drained of excess moisture (very important step!)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 5 ounces Melanie’s Medleys Honey, Fig & Pistachio cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2-1 cup heavy cream (add more or less depending on desired consistency. We like a light, whipped topping).
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9×13 baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the 3 eggs with whisk until frothy. Whisk in the sugar, vegetable oil, yogurt, vanilla, and lemon zest. Stir in the flour mixture, a third at a time. Fold in the zucchini and chopped nuts.
- Pour mixture into a 9×13 baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, in a mixer add the heavy cream and beat until thick and fluffy. Add in cream cheese and beat at a medium speed. Slowly add in desired amount of powdered sugar. One the cake is cooled, frost. Store in fridge, covered, for up to three days.